Family and Partner visas

If you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months to live with a family member, you can apply for a family visa if you are planning to come and live with your:

  • spouse or partner
  • fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner
  • child
  • parent
  • relative who’ll provide long-term care for you



Requirements of a spouse visa:

  • You and your partner must be 18 or over
  • Your partner must be a British or Irish citizen, or settled in the UK
  • You are in a genuine and subsisting relationship
  • You meet the financial requirement
  • You meet the English language requirement


Fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

As a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner you must show that you are free to marry (any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended) and that you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK.


Adult dependant relative

If you are an adult coming to the UK to be cared by a relative and you are in need of long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK you may qualify to come under a family visa.

The relative in the UK must:

  • Be British or Irish citizen
  • Be settled in the UK (e.g Indefinite Leave to Remain, settled status or proof of permanent residency
  • Have pre-settled status and have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021 if they are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.
  • Have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.



Applicants for Adult Dependant Relative visas must show that they are over 18 years old and that:

  • They are dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living in the UK;
  • They need long-term care because of their illness, disability or age;
  • The care is not available or affordable in the country they currently live in and
  • The relative they will be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for them without claiming public funds for at least five years.


Duration of stay

How long you can stay will depend on the status of your family member. If your relative is British, Irish or settled in the UK you may be grated Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Birchin Court, 20 Birchin Lane, London, EC3V 9DJ

T:  +44 (0)20 7993 6923
1 Maiden Lane,  5th Floor,  New York NY 10038

2503 Bank of America Tower, 12 Harcourt Road, Hong Kong
© Copyright 2022 - Bonheurlegal - All Rights Reserved
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram