Student Visa replaced the Tier 4 (General) Student visa and allows those aged 16 or over to come to the UK at an institution that holds a Sponsorship Licence.


  • Enrol for a course at an institution that has a licence to sponsor students.
  • Proof of finance- you should be able to show that you are able to support yourself in the UK.
  • Prove your English Language knowledge.
  • You should have been assigned a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) by the institution.


Switching to a Student visa

You may be able to switch to a student visa in the UK if you already have permission to be in the UK.



The main applicant may bring his family members to the UK, provided that:

  • He or she is a full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF Level 7 or above) and the course should not last less than 9 months.
  • Or the applicant is a new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months.
  • Or the applicant is a Doctorate Extension Scheme student


Duration of stay in the UK
Applicants will be issued with a visa in line with the duration of their course with additional time at the start and end of the course to settle in and arrange their affairs.

Whilst you may be able to extend your leave to stay or apply for a new leave; please note that if you have previously studied in the UK, you will only be granted additional leave under certain circumstances.

Birchin Court, 20 Birchin Lane, London, EC3V 9DJ

T:  +44 (0)20 7993 6923
1 Maiden Lane,  5th Floor,  New York NY 10038

2503 Bank of America Tower, 12 Harcourt Road, Hong Kong
© Copyright 2022 - Bonheurlegal - All Rights Reserved
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram